Subscribe Where You Listen the Most
What Does it Mean to Follow Jesus?
When Jesus began His earthly ministry, His initial message was the same as John the Baptist. He said, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand” (Matt. 4:17). And throughout the next three years, one underlying theme in His teaching was about life in His Kingdom. When Jesus sent out His disciples to preach His message, He said, “As you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand’ ” (Matt. 8:11). Jesus even told those close to Him why He spoke to the crowds in parables. And His answer had to do with concealing from some the knowledge of the kingdom of heaven. He said, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given” (Matt. 13:11). Which begs the question, what does it mean to follow Jesus? And what is life like in His kingdom?
Finally, He shared parables specifically pointed to revealing what the kingdom of heaven, His Kingdom, was like. He said it was like a “man who sowed good seed in his field” (Matt. 13:24). Or, it was like a “mustard seed” which, being small, grew into a tree “so that the birds of the air come and nest in its branches” (Matt. 13:31). Jesus likened His Kingdom to “leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened” (Matt. 13:33). And to express how wonderful His Kingdom is for those who possess it, He said it was like a “treasure hidden in a field” (Matt. 13:44) or a “pearl of great price” (Matt. 13:46) that was worth all one had on earth.
Jesus then asked His disciples, “Have you understood all these things?” They said to Him, “Yes, Lord” (Matt. 13:51).
I wonder what our answer would be today? Do we understand His Kingdom? Do we fully know what it means to follow Him? Can we honestly say we are proficient in following Jesus?
I’m not so sure. And maybe you aren’t either.
And What Does it Mean to Live in His Kingdom?
Let’s just take a flyover view of the first few chapters in Matthew and see if we can determine some principles and instructions for what it means to live in the kingdom of heaven. And then compare them to what we teach in church today, and I think you’ll be as shocked as I was.
• Blessed… or Not So Blessed – Matthew 5:3-12
• Self Identity – Matthew 5:13-16
• His Standard of Righteousness – Matthew 5:20
• Anger – Matthew 5:21-26
• Lust and/or Sexual Sin – Matthew 5:27-30
• Marital Relationships – Matthew 5:31-32
• Oaths and Dishonesty – Matthew 5:33-37
• How to Respond to Evil – Matthew 5:38-42
• How to Respond to Haters – Matthew 5:43-47
• Be Perfect – Matthew 5:48
• Self-Promotion – Matthew 6:1-4
• How to Pray – Matthew 6:5-13
• How Much Forgiveness? – Matthew 6:14-15
• Fasting and Other Disciplines – Matthew 6:16-17
• Our Life Focus – Matthew 6:19-21
• Everyone Serves Somebody or Something – Matthew 6:24
• Worry, Doubt, and Fear – Matthew 6:25-34
• I’m Right and You’re Wrong – Matthew 7:1-2
• I’m Good and You’re Bad – Matthew 7:3-6
• What is a Life of Faith – Matthew 7:7-11
• Treat Others Like You Treat Yourself – Matthew 7:12
• Turnstile or Interstate – Matthew 7:13-14
• Fruit Inspector – Matthew 7:15-20
• Doing and Not Just Talking – Matthew 7:21-23
• Don’t Be Stupid! – Matthew 7:24-27
• Minister Within Your Reach – Matthew 8:1-17
• Everything Costs Something – Matthew 8:18-22
And so much more!
Remember, following Christ means to forget everything we think we know about everything but Him, and simply trust in child-like faith. Our entire reality now changes, as citizens in His Kingdom, to something incredible and supernatural.
Do you want to learn more about what it means to follow Jesus? If so, then keep listening.